We’ve come across this really simple recipe for Pumpkin Dog treats. The vet approves because apparently pumpkin is to dog tummies as Pepto is to human stomachs. What’s also great is they’re a healthy alternative to rawhide; she’ll beg for one of these more than she begs for pepperoni!
The recipe (from here)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons milk powder (we never ever have this on hand so I’ve been using Brewer’s Yeast and it’s just fine)
- 2 1/2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a bowl, stir together the eggs, pumpkin puree, milk powder and flour; add 2 tsp. water, or enough so that the dough just comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Gather the scraps, combine, roll and form more biscuits; repeat until all the dough is used.
- Place the biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn over and bake until hardened, another 20 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes.
Izzy absolutely loves these things and we love that it makes an entire jar full.